Thursday, December 15, 2011

Will my F1 status change if I get married with a green card holder?

Im an F1 student, will my status change if I get married with a green card holder? will I still pay for tuition fees same as I were an F1 student?|||I do believe the 2 year rule is only for J1. I麓ve never heard about it in connection with F1|||Your husband can file an I-130 for you. You must remain in status until a visa becomes available. That will take from 4 to 7 months. After the visa is available you can then file to adjust status.|||If you get married to an LPR, your spouse will file for Adjustment of Status for you via forms I-130, I-485. and I-761. As soon as the AOS petition has been accepted, your status changes from F1 to "status pending."





As long as your spouse is not a US citizen, you'll have to wait until a ticket becomes available for you. Depending on your country, that can take months or years. Another problem is that your F1 is probably linked to a 2-year home residency requirement. Thus, after you finished studying, you have to go to your home country for 2 years.





Therefore, I suggest that your spouse only files for the I-130 (petition for an alien spouse) and waits with the AOS until he or she becomes a US citizen. At that point there's no waiting time anymore, and you can try to apply for a waiver.

No comments:

Post a Comment